Loading...

How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

You can’t see, smell or taste it, but carbon monoxide can be deadly in your home. Handyman Jay Baker shows you ways to protect yourself and your family.

VIDEO TRANSCRIPT

You can’t see it, you can’t smell it, but it’s dangerous, sometimes even lethal. It’s carbon monoxide, and most people feel it’s a larger threat in the winter when the fire is roaring and the furnace is cranked up to high.

But we are going to show you ways to keep your home safe from carbon monoxide year round.

Once a year, during cold months, it is important that you have any fuel-burning appliances like fireplaces and ovens inspected by a professional for leaks and blockages.

If it’s time to buy a new gas appliance, try to get one with a venting system that directs fumes outside. During summer cookouts, make sure your gas grill is positioned away from any windows and out in the open air.

An attached garage is considered a bonus in a home but it’s also to be taken seriously. Car exhaust has high levels of carbon monoxide, so never leave your car running in the garage, not even with the door open. It only takes a few minutes for the fumes to move from the garage into the house.

Back inside the home, it’s probably a good idea to have a few carbon monoxide detectors installed at different locations. They should never be used as a replacement for other preventive measures.

Once installed, test yours frequently and, again, remember they’re simply a back up.

The last line of defense is being able to actually recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. They’re very similar to what you might experience with the flu or food poisoning: Headaches, nausea, dizziness.

If you start to experience these turn off all of your appliances and get outside for some fresh air. If the symptoms continue get yourself to the emergency room.


Theme developed by TouchSize - Premium WordPress Themes and Websites