If you’ve ever had mold in your house, you know how it can irritate your allergies. It can also make many people sick. Here’s how to safely get rid of mold and keep it from coming back.
You’ve probably heard a lot about mold. How it can grow in your basement and even that some kinds of mold can cause health problems. But a lot of people think just because they don’t have a basement, they don’t have a mold problem. Think again!
Ever walk into the bathroom and immediately notice that your clean towels smell spoiled and musty after only one use? Or maybe clothing you’re hanging up to drip-dry doesn’t smell clean. That could mean mold.
Mold is often green, but not always. It can also be white. I’ve also seen it orange and look here at this shower. Pink, right here on the shower curtain.
If you find mold you should clean it up immediately but be smart about it. Remember, when you start to agitate those mold spores, they’re going to go into the air and you can breathe them into your lungs.
Now not everyone is affected by mold, but it’s always a good idea to wear protection when you’re going to be handling it.
So there are several products you should use. One is safety goggles. Also an N-95 respirator catches those little guys before they get to your mouth so you don’t breathe them in.
Latex gloves and a non-ammonia cleaner or a commercial product that is intended for destroying mold.
Now that the mold is gone, you’ll want to keep it away by monitoring humidity. This particular thermostat has a humidity monitor built in, but if you’re not that lucky, you can buy one pretty inexpensively. I picked this one up for $30 at a hardware store.
If you find the humidity levels in your house are consistently high, try a de-humidifier. They work great for pulling the humidity out of the air and depositing in a chamber. You simply pull it out, dump the water, put it back in. Every now and then just check it to make sure it’s not getting too full and it really does a great job at removing humidity.